Sunday, March 2, 2014

Practical Thoughts and Helpful Words...

“You cannot see into children’s minds, but their behaviors can guide your teaching decisions.” 
                                                                           ~ educators Fountas and Pinnell (2006) 

As an educator, it is my job to: 
  • confer with my students as they read, and as they write 
  • to take note and take notes
  • to evaluate the things they can do, and the things they can almost do
  • to be able to note when a student is ready for the next challenge in their reading and writing growth  

A good teacher makes plans for her whole class, small groups of students, and one-on-one teaching. Then, she can almost simultaneously execute her plans!  But, teachers are not superhuman beings.  They do eat, sleep and exercise too!  Sometimes they even spell words incorrectly or mispronounce them. 

To allow me to be the best teacher educator I can be, I will work with my student’s families.  With that thought in mind, here are a few tips I will share with my classroom families:   
  • No one is held back from beginning reading, even if they do not know all of their letter or letter sounds!  
  • Share with you student, no one memorizes every book they read!  Readers learn to figure out the words.  Remind them that you learned how to do this and they will be able to learn this too!
  • Reading isn’t about just saying the words...it’s all the thinking that goes on in your head at the same time!  
  • Remember those “rules” about language that WE learned...less than 45% of the time those hold true!  Besides, if you have to stop and recall a “rule,” you might forget what it is you are reading about!  
  • If a book is too easy for your student, that’s okay!  Quantity of successful reading builds the assured independence of a competent reader. But, if you think your student needs more variety, send me a note.  We, your student and I, can work together to find some other great books to read!
  • It’s more important to me that your student understand and comprehends what they are reading. I place less emphasis on students reading levels.  AND I know each student  will progress at a level and speed that is appropriate for them.  
  • To create a love of reading in your student...read aloud to them!  Enjoying books together is a wonderful way to share time. 
  • Let them read to you, then celebrate their independence of being the reader! Be a good listener.  

I know these tips may seem more appropriate for beginning readers and their families to hear, but as a mother of two college students, it is ALWAYS important to be a good listen to the children in our lives.  ~ltk



No comments:

Post a Comment

A great teacher never stops learning...please click here to share your thoughts with me... :)