Monday, April 21, 2014

18th Century vs. 20th Century... Children and Books

-evaluating my own consumerism as a parent, and as a future teacher

Where do I fit in the scheme of consumerism?  I am very guilty of perpetuating the ways of Corporations.  I have been captivated by toys that connect to books and movies.  As my children were growing up, I wanted them to have what others had...or even have more. (Ouch!  That hurts to admit, but it is true.)  

This week I read an article in Reading Research Quarterly from 2009, about branded fiction in children’s literature and new literacies.  This article pointed out the history of books for children, and how consumerism has changed the media children have access to use in their play.  This article specifically discussed tweens, children ages 8-12 year-olds or 3rd through 6th grade students.  Based on all the articles and books I have been exposed to in the past year about educating children, I realize that the influences on children start before 3rd grade.  With that in mind, I reflected back on my own consumerism as a parent, when my own two children were very young.  

Comparing the current century to the 18th century, there are so many more products available that are tied to books in the market place.  This article specifically focused on the American Girl, Hannah Montana, Harry Potter, Neo Pets, Disney (Mickey Mouse),  and Kewpie Doll brands.  It compared and contrasted their availability (in their popular time frame), their affordability, globalization...in terms of making media and distribution, and their access via the Internet.  More products are available to more people, which means there are new ways for children to ‘enter’ the story world.  Childhood is different too.  Middle class American’s have more disposable income.  Children are more capable of spending their parent’s money; mostly through mother-child relationships.  Children do not understand the difference between advertising and entertainment, but parents, who should, do not want their child to be left out of the latest fad or crazy. Here I will admit, I fell totally into that trap.  

When my children were very young, Disney’s Pocahontas...the movie, was popular.  I purchased the Disney book that retold the story, I purchased the Little Golden Book that retold the story, I read said stories to my children, I purchased the figurines for play, encouraged my extended family to purchase the “stuff” to accessorize play, and sadly...I took my children out to eat weekly just so they could collect the meal toys from MickeyD’s.  Oh my.  I have picture after picture of old toys: Pokémon, Ty Beanie Babies, Hamtaro, Polly Pockets, Legos, Jurassic Park, Barbie, Harry Potter, etc., that still reside in boxes in my spare closet.  Again, children do not understand the difference between advertising and entertainment.  Parents do.  Clearly, I did not. 

Children are immature, inexperienced and naïve.  This causes them to be easy to manipulate, especially by the marketers of brands.  As a parent, it is our job to step in and educate our children.  But, societal pressures to keep up with everyone else, especially if one happens to have enough disposable income to justify weekly dining out,
(No soapboxes on the health issues, please.  I have changed my ways, and I DO know better.) make it hard to say no.  

Literacy is no longer the ability to only communicate in ways that are bound in printed text.  Literacy truly has shifted to include communicating in ways that facilitate communities that enable people’s learning through new technologies.  In a word, the INTERNET...a wonderful source of entertainment, and advertisement.  

I am proud to admit that my husband and I read every single Harry Potter book aloud to our children as they were growing up.  Many conversations, filled with opinions, wonder, imagination, vocabulary lessons, and curiosity of what will happen next filled our family time.  

As a teacher, I see the benefits of play through branded fiction, or popular toy franchises.  I know not all children have the same access at home to interact with stories.  That may mean they are not exposed to the same books, toys, or Internet as their peers.  But I am also a book lover.  So, I will always try to encourage books first.  Everything else will be welcomed in my classroom, as long as it follows school policy of course, and as long as it adds to creating the reading and writing skills of my students.


Excuse me now...I need to go play with the Jurassic Park toys...they are calling me!  

-----

RA 5 of 5

Carver Sekeres, D., (2009) . The Market Child and Branded Fiction: A Synergism of Children’s Literature, Consumer Culture, and New Literacies. Reading Research Quarterly, 44(4), pp. 399-414. 

retrieved from: http://www.jstor.org/stable/25655466

No comments:

Post a Comment

A great teacher never stops learning...please click here to share your thoughts with me... :)