Sunday, January 18, 2015

100th Day of School...Crisis Diverted!!!!! A Kindergarten Story.

Life as a substitute continues.  Last week I was in kindergarten most of the week.

Although not always true, the youngest students can sometimes be the most emotional.




Each day, a class calendar is discussed:  month, day of the week, counting to the date, how to write the date, how to say the date, singing the months of they year, singing the days of the week, etc.  When students have time to write in their journals they are expected to write the date on the top of each page.

Additionally, the weather is talked about and recorded.  Patterns for recording such information are used...precursors for reading.

Part of the K curriculum is that the students are learning how to count to 100.  On Friday, it was the 98th day of school.  During our morning meeting, we filled in the 98th day with the appropriate card.  Then we discussed how many more days until the 100th day.  How did they know?  It was simple to see the two blank cards still remaining.  I know the classroom teacher has worked with her class so they could see this pattern.  

Flash forward to the end of the day.  Several of the students were starting to get upset and I was puzzled as to why.  It was Friday!  In fact, I pointed out that on Monday there would not be school due to the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday...so that meant three days off!

As I was trying to get the class ready for our end of the day final tasks, one boy was explaining to me that he was worried he was going to miss the party.  He was going to be spending tonight (Friday), Saturday and Sunday night at his grandma's house.  I tried to tell him how much fun I thought he was going to have.  I recall spending long weekends when I was growing up with my grandma, and then it hit me.  What party are you worried you are going to miss I asked?

TIME FOR A CLASS MEETING!  

One of the last things we needed to do before the students were dismissed for the weekend was to have one final meeting.  Pete, the cat, was in his suitcase and ready to be going home with someone for a weekend adventure.  I hadn't announced who that would be yet.  Before we talked about Pete, I asked who was worried about missing the 100th day of school party.  Most hands went up into the air.

I assured the students that only the 100 days that they come to school are counted.  Weekends and holidays do not count.  I reminded them, that their teacher is due to be out again on Tuesday, but she will definitely be back for the 100th day!

Crisis diverted.  Whew!  That was a close one.









No comments:

Post a Comment

A great teacher never stops learning...please click here to share your thoughts with me... :)