Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Life as a Substitute

Day one...

I entered a new school today.  Didn't know anyone there.  None of the staff, nor any of the students.  Excited to be in the classroom, nervous I wouldn't get as much accomplished as the classroom teacher had hoped.  Normal feelings I'm sure.  

I realize there is a disadvantage to being a substitute in a new school.  One doesn't know their discipline systems.  One doesn't know immediately what is acceptable or unacceptable, who is capable of what and what is considered crossing the line.  

I learned so much today.  

Late in my afternoon I was told by one of the students, "You are pretty, like a preschool teacher, but you are kind of mean."  It makes me laugh every time I think about it.  I hate being mean.  Mostly I don't think I am, it's just not in my nature.  But, I am firm and will not tolerate disrespect in a classroom.  I'm sure students don't realize how disrespectful they can be to a guest teacher.  I hope I have an opportunity to go back and be in the same classroom again.    
                                                                          ~Mrs. K

No comments:

Post a Comment

A great teacher never stops learning...please click here to share your thoughts with me... :)